Friday, August 20, 2010

Lost in reno madness...


Sometimes I am so thrilled with home renoing. Then there are other moments where I wish I was not renoing and had just sucked up the ugly house syndrome. If you need to know anything about me its that I love cleaning and organizing. However, when you are renovating it is impossible to maintain a sense of order and meticulous organization.

This week I've been vacuming around boxes (trying to justify the Dyson purchase) and doing many visualizations of the end product to preserve my sanity. So, in order to make myself feel better I've been sifting through pictures to remind myself of where we were and where we are today!

Upstairs Floors ----
(They are done!! I just have one small teeny tiny patch to poly-urethane out the door). A* ripped up all the carpet and sanded the floor down. Together we looked every where for the right stain colour. Luckily, Benjamin Moore was the only place that had such a dark stain. Most paint stores looked at us in horror when we asked for "dark dark stain" as if we were committing a crime to stain floors so dark.

(Kitchen floors after - On a side note, we hate the kitchen cabinets. Not a fan of the vintage aka dirty antique look. They will soon be painted white. Will post on this issue later).


(Black floors - Small dinning room area after the staining! Please ignore the hideous chandelier and ugly 80's curtains that we have since removed)


(My office floor during)

(Upstairs living room - during - this floor was covered with carpet before)


(Main entrance floors - before)

(Living room before the staining - Notice the yellow shine!)


The good news about re-doing floors:
  • It is significantly cheaper to refinish your floors than to put in new hardwood
  • A great way to modernize your home
  • A dark stain hides the imperfections on the wood
The bad news about re-doing floors:
  • Poly-urethaning sucks! If you suffer from any type of allergies be wary of doing it! We both have asthma and it was brutal! For months afterwards, guests can still smell it!
  • If you are staining your floor a dark colour -- think twice, especially if you love things looking perfect at all times and if you have dogs!!
We will be laying down new hardwood in a couple of years, however this was our interim solution to old carpet.

What do you think? Would you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment